Easy to get started, user-friendly and it works!
Staples Solutions is a leading European supplier of equipment, accessories and solutions that make work easier. In Norway, they have 22 stores, e-commerce, wholesale and direct sales, and around 500 dedicated employees work in the company. The industry is characterized by tough competition, and in order to develop and succeed, Staples sees it as essential to be a listening and learning organization. Staples has chosen Motimate as a tool for internal communication and learning.
We had a chat with Tone Haugen-Flermoe who is Communications and Marketing Manager in Staples Norway about why Staples chose Motimate as both a communication and learning platform.
- We were initially looking for a practical tool to simplify communication between our head office and our stores. Gradually we also saw the need for a digital learning platform. Ease of use was at the top of the wish list, as there are sometimes large geographical distances between departments. We had to have a system that did not require much training and support. It was also important for us to use a supplier with whom we could have a good dialogue, and was easy to talk to. Of course, price is also always a factor. Motimate met all our criteria, Tone says.
You started by using Motimate as an in-store communication platform. Now you have implemented Motimate throughout the organization. Can you say a little about the background to this and how you use Motimate on a daily basis?
- We use Motimate both for the daily flow of information between the head office and employees located across the country, as well as for training and onboarding. Staples is a multi-channel business, with both stores, wholesale business, online sales and contract sales to public and private companies. Initially, we saw Motimate mostly as a tool for the stores, but because it has been so successful there, we have now chosen to implement it in the other channels as well, and we have great expectations that it will contribute to a significant efficiency in internal communication throughout the business, Tone elaborates.
We are incredibly excited to hear how Motimate creates positive change in an organization. But we are not alone in offering solutions in the market. What do you think Tone, is the biggest advantage of Motimate over other solutions?
- Motimate has low threshold. When someone starts working with us, they are immediately invited to Motimate. Then they get instant insight into what we are doing, who works here, who answers what kind of questions and they get a contact list. It also increases the sense of community when everyone gets to know what is happening. We have been clear about that there should be room for both professional and social content, and we see that it helps to create an experience of inclusion, Tone explains.
How has Motimate improved your learning / internal communication work?
- We have put a lot of resources into developing training materials suitable for this form of communication, and we see that it has a good effect. The fact that the manager can follow the progression and follow up on those who are behind on the training programs has made it much easier to follow up in a busy everyday life.
Many who consider Motimate are excited about what is actually shared and how this helps create a good corporate culture.
- We always encourage you to share success stories, whether it is a good store show, a won contract or a good feedback from a customer. In this way, we get the best practice established in an organic way, and it probably triggers the competitive side of some. At the same time, Motimate is not just for sunshine stories, and we are committed to transparent and honest communication. By allowing the individuals to publish problems they discover, everyone sees that things are quickly being addressed, concludes Tone Haugen-Flermoe, Communications and Marketing Manager in Staples Norway.